Smart system is the next generation of computing and information system, combining artificial intelligence, machine learning, cyber-physical systems, edge/cloud computing, pervasive/ubiquitous computing, big data analytics, and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies to provide real-time networked information and control.
Smart systems components
Smart systems typically consist of diverse components:
- Sensors for signal acquisition
- Elements transmitting the information to the command-and-control unit
- Command-and-control units that take decisions and give instructions based on the available information
- Components transmitting decisions and instructions
- Actuators that perform or trigger the required action
Characteristics and potential threats
Although very heterogeneous those components have some common characteristics :
- those components all communicate together and more and more through TCP/IP
- being connected they are potentially vulnerable to cyber threats ,
- they may detect availability problems or have availability problems
- being outside they are also more vulnerable to natural (and man made) hazards
- some of them are moving around thus changing geolocation
- they need to be monitored against all those threats and potential incidents
IDMEFv2 is based on two major concepts :
- IDMEFv2 allows definition of cyber and physical incident whether they are malicious or accidental and natural and man made hazards. Thus IDMEFv2 can cover in a single format all the kind of incidents happening with smart systems.
- IDMEFv2 puts together 5 dimensions : the three spacial dimension through geolocation attributes, the time dimension and the “virtual” dimensions with IP adress.
Thus IDMEFv2 offers a unique possibility to describe any incident happening on smart system.